Pages

How Do You Stay Focused on What You Really Do?

If you’re like a lot of business owners, you spend way too much of your time on answering e-mail, finances, purchasing, logistics, human resources, marketing, your web site, and, and, and...


But what do you REALLY do for a living? If you’re like some of my friends…


Timephoto © 2010 Robbert van der Steeg | more info (via: Wylio)

…You’re a bass player in a local band.


…You’ve written a book about leadership.

…You’re helping a talented musician with an international following get fans in his home country.


…You’re bringing the TLC back to dog grooming services with a personal touch.


…You’re a mommy blogger and seller of children’s books.

…You run an active, vibrant dance studio.

…You’re an expert consultant for government contractors.


…You run a successful landscaping business.


...You help other businesses grow.


Sometimes it’s easy to forget what we really do when we get so bogged down with all the other things that go along with our livelihoods.


The challenge is staying focused on our core expertise without getting bogged down by all the details.


How do you stay on top of things while still doing the fun part?


For me, my e-mail box is the tiger to tame. I’m also reluctant to work on my finances.

So what do I do?

I set aside time every day just to simply read and answer e-mail. Most of my research resources are in there (my RSS feeds, LinkedIn group updates, news, etc.) so this is definitely time well spent.

I also set a regular appointment with myself to catch up on my financial records, pay bills, and send invoices. 


How do make time for your core work?

I hope you'll share your thoughts in the comments.


Find that you’re spending too much time on say, marketing, and not enough on what you really do?

I can help. Drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment