There are a lot of social media skeptics out there - people who say that networks like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest are a big waste of valuable time. Common curmudgeonly statements include:
|Gratuitous cat. Photo: L. Ibraheem|
- "It's all about kittens and what people ate for lunch"
- "It's all women planning fairytale weddings and picking out nail polish."
- "It's just young dudes playing video games and sharing some kind of code."
- "My mom/grandpa/auntie uses it to get photos of the kids. "
- "It's not for business."
I think they're missing the point. It's true that people do all of these things with social media, but
They do a lot more.
- Sharing and supporting meaningful social causes.
- Watching video how-to's
- Inviting friends and family to send caring messages to a loved one with cancer.
- Creating and sharing original art.
- Getting in touch with experts about sticky business problems.
- Finding jobs and employees.
- Discussing the news of the day, and new developments in almost any field.
- Learning about subjects that interest them.
- Just keeping in touch with friends.
Can you help them do any of the things I just listed above?
I bet you can. If you're not sure how, drop me a line. I can help.
What to do When they Won't Go Social
Removing Barriers to Social Media Success